Monday, January 24, 2011

RR03

This reading reflection is from chapters 4-6 of Haskett. Chapter 4 was interesting because of the information it provided regarding industrial and product designers, and Chapter 6 was interesting because of the way it defined and described the many different dimensions and distinctions within a space that interior designers need to consider. The majority of this reflection, however, will be on Chapter 5.

I found chapter 5 the most interesting since I am most interested in the visual communications aspect of design, and this chapter was all about communication from a design perspective. I found the reference to the comprehensive signage system  designed by Otl Aicher for the 1972 Munich Olympics engaging because I never knew that this was the origin of when these types of figures became widely used.






I have seen signage depicting these types of figures ever since I can remember.




The use of these type of figures in signs just seemed like the universally accepted depiction of people to me, and before reading this chapter in Haskett I never even considered what their origins might have been. I personally find it somewhat intriguing to consider what it must feel like to be the person who develops a system/icon that becomes such a standard world wide. It is obvious why Haskett chose to use these figures as an examples, because the purpose of visual communications is to, "create a sense of identity in visual terms." These figures show how the most effective visual communications can transcend language and culture and become something that can be understood by anybody who has the mental capacity to process the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment