Sunday, January 30, 2011

CR04

Monday's (1/24) lecture was entertaining to me because design for accessibility is obviously one of the major concerns of designers yet it is still a subject I had not previously given much thought to. One of the more memorable components of the lecture was how everyday objects that I come into contact with on a daily basis serve a purpose that I had not really known or considered before. One example of such from the lecture is the flat lever door handle versus the knob. I always inherently knew levers were easier to open because you can hit then with your hip or fist but I had never stopped to think that this feature is necessary for some individuals to be able to open doors. The difference in difficulty between the two types was so minimal to me personally that I never stopped to think about how for some people the knob type handles could pose quite a problem or danger.

I also found the wheelchair video shown in class very interesting. As mentioned in the video, the wheelchair is something that has not changed much for decades, despite an ever increasing number of disabled persons and a rise in technology. It's unfortunate that this chair has not currently been able to come to market because of its price. As seen by the individual who tested it in the video, the features of the chair could not only improve the mobility of persons confined to a wheelchair, but could significantly benefit their mental health as well by making them more comfortable or at ease with their confining situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment